There is a vacancy for a research fellowship position for four years at the University of Tromsø the Arctic University of Norway for applicants who want to take a Doctor of Philosophy degree (PhD). Applicants from all subject areas are welcome to apply. Go to JobbNorge for complete job advertisement.
Admission to one of UiT’s PhD training programmes is a prerequisite for being appointed. The PhD training period commences once this position is accepted. The candidate will participate in the PhD training programme at the Faculty of Health Sciences, although a background in health sciences is not a requirement. The PhD project must be completed during the set period of employment. The candidate will receive supervision and counselling from a team of advisors with a main supervisor from the Department of Psychology and secondary supervisors from the Department of Education and the University Library.
The position’s affiliation
Teaching and counselling information literacy has for many years been one of the University library’s core activities, and is currently the responsibility of the Department of Library Services. The scholarship recipient will be affiliated with the Teaching and Learning Support Section, which is part of the Department of Library Services. The section coordinates and develops the teaching offered by the University library.
- Admission to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Health Sciences is a requirement for the position.
- The applicant must master Norwegian or another Scandinavian language fairly well, or acquire a level of Norwegian equivalent to the Norwegian language test in Norwegian at an advanced level (The Bergen Test) during the course of the first two years of the employment period.
- An additional requirement is documentation of English proficiency, which meets the requirements of the Norwegian general admission certification, see PhD regulations UiT.
- Grade of C or better on their master thesis, and as their grade point average in their master’s studies.
- Account for and document, educational achievement of at least a master’s degree level, also basic competence in research methods, relevant for the component studies of the project, as outlined above and in the applicant’s project outline.
- Personal suitability will be a main consideration.
The project has been designed with the goals of
- Producing an overview of international, research-based knowledge about information literacy teaching
developing and validating suitable measurements of aspects pertaining to the achievement of information literacy learning outcomes.
- Investigate how the teaching of information literacy is implemented and integrated into the curriculum of Norwegian higher education institutions.
- Carry out research to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of different models and methods for information literacy teaching.
- How the candidate carries out the project will be finalized together with the supervision team.
A PhD programme is three years. The fourth year, (25% of each year of the employment period), is to be used for teaching and counselling students and employees at UiT or other duties for the university.
- Letter of application
- Project outline (2-3 pages).
- CV (résumé), complete synopsis of education, practice and professional work.
- Certificate and transcript of grades from bachelor degree or equivalent.
- Certificate and transcript of grades from master’s degree (M.A.) or equivalent.
- Diploma supplement for previously completed grades.
- Documentation for English language mastery.
- Name and contact information of 2-3 referees (name, association with the applicant, email address and telephone numbers).
- List of work that the applicant would like to be taken into consideration for the appointment and the following specifications of these:
– Author(s), titles
– For articles: the journals’ name and volume, the articles’ first and last page numbers, year and if possible add the DOI or URL.
– For books or other independent publications: name of publishers, place of publication and year..
- Work (published or unpublished) which the applicant would also like to be taken into consideration when being assessed.
All documentation that is to be evaluated must be certified and translated into English or one of the Scandinavian languages
A project outline (2-3 pages) should also be included in which the applicant gives reasons for his/her interest for this field of study, their own reflections about the subject area and some research questions that naturally fit into this project design. A rough outline and reasons explaining why the applicant feels qualified as having the relevant competence for the project must be included. A detailed project description is not required.
For information about admission to the PhD programme etc. at the Faculty of Health Sciences, click here.
Application deadline: 1 December 2017.
Reference number: 2016/2902.